• Ph.D. in progress, University of California, Los Angeles (comparative literature, tentative dissertation title: ‘Writing Kwīr Against Empire: Towards A Grassroots Intellectual History of Gender in Arabic’)
• B.A., 2011, California State University, Long Beach (comparative world literature, minors in history and Middle Eastern studies)
• Center for Arabic Study Abroad (CASA), 2015-16, Qasid Institute, Amman, Jordan
• Arabic Language Program, 2013-2014, University of Jordan and Princess Sumaya University for Technology, Amman, Jordan
• Arabic Language Summer Session, 2012, Middlebury College, Oakland, California
• Semester Exchange, Spring 2009, University of Leicester College of Arts, Humanities, and Law, Leicester, U.K.
• “Mahfouz, al-Mutanabbi, and the Canon: Poetics of Deviance in the Masculine Nationalist Discourse of Al-Sukkariyya,” in Constructions of Masculinity in the Southwest Asia and North Africa, eds. Mohja Kahf and Nadine Sinno. American University in Cairo Press, forthcoming.
• “Phantom Limbs: Socio-Psychic Contours of the Maimed Body in ‘I used to Count my Friends on my Fingers’,” Wordgathering: A Journal of Disability Poetry and Literature, vol. 13, no. 1, March 2019.
• “National Allegory and the Parallax View in Tawfīq al-Ḥakīm’s Maṣīr Ṣurṣār,” Portals: A Journal in Comparative Literature, vol. 10, 2013.
• “Intellectual Space in Naguib Mahfouz’s Thartharah fawq al-Nīl,” CSULB McNair Scholars Research Journal, vol. 15, 2011, pp. 31-50.
• “Getting to Abu Nuwas Street,” short story by Dheya al-Khalidi. Baghdad Noir, Akashic Books, August 2018, pp. 209-20.
• “The Moment the Cell Door Opened,” prison testimony by Ahmed Alfaitouri. Banipal 50, Summer 2014, pp. 112-7.
• “I Used to Count My Friends on My Fingers,” short story by Ahmed Saadawi. Banipal 49, Spring 2014, pp. 116-23.
• “For Every Fox, An End,” short story by Zakariya Tamer. Arabic Literature (in English), 11 January 2014.
Awards & Honors
Fellowships & Grants
• Conference Travel Grant, Graduate Division and the Department of Comparative Literature, UCLA. March 2019.
• Conference Travel Grant, American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA). March 2019.
• Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship, Arabic Language, Center for Near Eastern Studies, UCLA. 2018-2019.
• Conference Travel Grant, Graduate Division and the Department of Comparative Literature, UCLA. November 2017.
• Conference Registration Grant, National Women’s Studies Association. November 2017.
• Research Grant: Morocco, American Institute for Maghrib Studies (AIMS). Summer 2016.
• Center for Arabic Studies Abroad (CASA) Fellowship: Jordan, Harvard University. 2015-16.
• Conference Travel Grant, Startalk, Indianapolis. October 2014.
• Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship, Arabic Language, Center for Near Eastern Studies, UCLA. 2014-2015. (recognized)
• Startalk Teaching Fellowship, “Launch into Arabic Learning and Teaching,” Anne Arundel Community College and U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD. Summer 2014.
• Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship: Jordan, Arabic Language, Center for Near Eastern Studies, UCLA. 2013-2014.
• Chancellor’s Prize Summer Mentorship, Graduate Division, UCLA. Summer 2012.
• Departmental Fellowship, Department of Comparative Literature, UCLA. 2011-2012.
• Chancellor’s Prize Fellowship, Graduate Division, UCLA. 2011-2012.
• Conference Registration Grant, Spaces & Flows International Conference, Common Ground Publishing, Los Angeles. December 2010.
• Conference Travel Grant, UC Berkeley, Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program, CSULB. August 2010.
• President’s List, California State University, Long Beach. Spring 2011, Fall 2010, Fall 2008.
• Certificate of Achievement in Arabic, Department of Romance, German, Russian Languages and Literatures, CSULB. Fall 2010.
• Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program, CSULB. 2010-2011.
• Dean’s List, California State University, Long Beach. Fall 2009.
• Certificate in Employability, School of English, University of Leicester. May 2009.
• Direct Exchange Program, University of Leicester. January-May 2009.
• Dean’s List, California State University, Long Beach. Spring 2008.
Courses Designed and Taught, UCLA
▪ Comparative Literature 4DW (Love, War, Sex and Empire in Postcolonial Literature with Writing II Requirement, with revisions) ~ Summer 2017, Fall 2017, Winter 2018, Spring 2018
▪ Comparative Literature 1E (Social Media and Storytelling, A Critical Overview) ~ Summer 2017
Courses Facilitated with Professor, UCLA
▪ Comparative Literature 2W- A,B,C,D (Surveys of Literature with Writing II Requirement) ~ 2012-13, 2014-15, 2016-17
▪ Arabic M110 / Comparative Literature M110 (Alf Layla wa-Layla / One Thousand and One Nights) ~ Winter 2015
▪ Arabic M110 / Comparative Literature M110 (Alf Layla wa-Layla / One Thousand and One Nights) ~ Winter 2017, Fall 2018
▪ Arabic M115 / Comparative Literature M119 (Literature of Al-Andalus / Islamic Spain) ~ Winter 2018
▪ Anthropology 179 (Anthropology of the Mediterranean) ~ Spring 2017
Teaching Fellow, Anne Arundel Community College and U.S. Naval Academy
▪ Beginner Arabic (Intensive ACTFL, Startalk Program), co-designed curriculum ~ Summer 2014
Supplemental Instruction Leader, CSULB (Beach Learning Community)
▪ Classics 101 (Introduction to Greek Mythology) ~ Fall 2009
• Research Consultant, UCLA Digital Humanities Accelerator Program. 2018-present
◦ Mellon Digital Gateway Annotation Tool
◦ Forensic Empathy–Mapping U.S.-Mexico Border
• Instructional Technology Consultant, UCLA Humanities Technology. 2018-present
• Web Design and Development, UCLA University Apartments South, Residents’ Association. 2018-present.
• Web Developer, CSULB Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program and Student Support Services Program. 2010-2011
• Co-founder and Web Developer, Floor Sugar, Online Music Store and Distribution. 2008-2010
• Production Coordinator, Los Angeles Times, Advertising Operations. 2007-2008
• Moderator, “Printed Matter(s)” Luncheon, Center for Near Eastern Studies, UCLA. 4 March 2019.
• Board Member, UCLA University Apartments South Residents’ Association. October 2018-present
• Graduate Research Mentor, Summer Fellows Scholarship Program, Undergraduate Research Center for the Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, UCLA, Summer 2018
• Staff, ACLA Annual Meeting, UCLA. April 2018
• Graduate Representative to the Academic Freedom Committee, University of California Academic Senate, UCLA. 2012-2013
• Comparative Literature Representative to the Humanities Council, Graduate Students Association, UCLA. 2012-2013
• Conference Co-organizer, “Inhumanities,” 2013 Annual Comparative Literature Graduate Student Conference, UCLA. 22-23 February 2013
• Roundtable Co-organizer, “What Happens the Day After MLK Day?” RadGrads, UCLA. 22 January 2013
• Panel Moderator, Spaces and Flows: An International Conference on Urban and ExtraUrban Studies, UCLA. 4-5 December 2010
Membership in Learned Societies
• American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA)
• American Institute for Maghrib Studies (AIMS)
• Modern Language Association of America (MLA)
• Middle East Studies Association of North America (MESA)
• National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA)
Presentations & Workshops
• “Bearing Witness to Securitized Subjects: Kwīr Arabic Digital Zines and Arrest Accounts in Morocco and Syria,” part of seminar “Rethinking the Transnational: Beyond Area and Across Media,” ACLA Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., 10 March 2019.
• “Baghdad After Curfew: Memory and the City in Dheya al-Khalidi’s ‘Getting to Abu Nuwas Street’,” Invited lecture for master’s course “Literature and the City,” University of New Mexico, 29 November 2018.
• “Modern Literary Appropriations of the 1001 Nights: Naguib Mahfouz and Edgar Allan Poe” Invited lecture for upper division course A Thousand and One Nights, UCLA, 15 November 2018.
• “Translational Solidarities: Intersectionality, Women of Color Feminism, and Kwīr Knowledge Production in Arabic,” with revisions:
◦ Society of Global Scholars Conference: Alter-Globalizations: Another World is (Still) Possible, UC Santa Barbara, March 2018.
◦ NWSA Annual Conference: 40 Years After Combahee: Feminist Scholars and Activists Engage the Movement for Black Lives, Baltimore, November 2017.
• “Dismantling the Narrative Machine: The Fantastical Journey of the Arabian Nights into the Modern Egyptian Novel,” Invited presentations for course A Thousand and One Nights, UCLA, June 2012 and March 2017.
• “Intellectual Space in Naguib Mahfouz’s Thartharah fawq al-Nīl,” paper presented with revisions:
◦ 2011 CSULB Student Research Competition, Division of Academic Affairs, CSULB. February 2011.
◦ 2010 McNair Scholars Fall Research Symposium, CSULB. December 2010.
◦ Spaces and Flows: An International Conference on Urban and ExtraUrban Studies, Common Ground Publishing, UCLA. December 2010.
◦ Southern California Conference for Undergraduate Research, Pepperdine University, California. November 2010.
◦ 1st Annual Southern California McNair Scholars Symposium, Claremont Graduate University, California. October 2010.
◦ 18th Annual California McNair Scholars Symposium, UC Berkeley. August 2010.
◦ 2010 McNair Scholars Summer Research Symposium, CSULB. July 2010.
• “Research Writing Strategies in the Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences,” Summer Fellows Scholarship Program, Undergraduate Research Center, UCLA. July 2018.
• “Applying to Ph.D. Programs in the Humanities and Social Sciences,” Summer Fellows Scholarship Program, Undergraduate Research Center, UCLA. June 2018.
• “Navigating the Ph.D. Application Process,” Invited Workshop for 2011 McNair Scholars Summer Research Internship Program, CSULB. June 2011.